I love onions.
Not the long, wormy, soft onions that you might find in French Onion Soup** or Onion Rings, but the crunchy, flavorful onions that are finely chopped and placed wonderfully in sandwiches, salads, pizza, stew, and the like.
At any given time in our refrigerator, you will find a container of chopped up onions.
a) because I like food prep,
and
b) because it makes it easier to put onions in/on anything
Because of this love, and the frequency with which I eat this food, I got to wondering.
1) What, exactly, is an onion? Fruit? Vegetable? Big nut?
2) Is there any nutritional value in onions?
I decided to browse the most reliable source at hand, the internet, to see what I could find out.
This site said that:
"*Onions are an excellent antioxidant, and they contain anti-allergy, antiviral and antihistamine properties.
*Sulfur compounds in onions help to detoxify the body.
*Onions aid in cellular repair.
*Onions are a rich source of quercetin, a potent antioxidant.
*To obtain the maximum nutritional benefits, onions should be eaten raw or lightly steamed."
So far, so good!
Another site was especially encouraging, and you should check it out, because there's too much to copy and paste, but pretty much it said that onions are better for you than tea or apples (which is great because I eat onions almost daily and tea or apples almost never). This site also suggests that onions are vegetables, which I should've known, but you should never assume these things. I'm not surprised. I love vegetables far more than fruits, and if I were to find out that onions are just another berry or melon...boy oh boy, then I'd have to admit to really liking fruit.
So that's that. I love onions even more. I don't care that sometimes they make me cry like a baby or that my breath and fingernails smell of onions day in and day out. It could be worse, I could smoke, which also causes bad breathe and stinky fingernails, but has little to no nutritional value.
It has also been said that The Onion is America's Finest News Source.
I tend to agree.
**I actually like French Onion Soup, when the onions are finely chopped and not earthworm-like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This post really motivates me to go out and eat some onions. More accurately, to go out, purchase some onions and then chop them up for the fridge and eat them later in the cooked foodstuff of my choice.
Glad it was inspiring :)
Post a Comment