
I think the first time I read this book I was about 10 or 11. And I think it was read to me in library class. That, or I had already read it, and then I had the pleasure of listening to it again whilst braiding the hair of my classmates (or vice versa).
Anyway, I think I've read this book every year after, because I love it. In high school, we had to read it for English, and I think I went home and filled out the study guide without even giving the book a glance (of course I reread it, but I'm just trying to illlustrate how well I'd known it by that time).
If you haven't read it, you should. I'm on my second copy, because I lent my first to someone and they never gave it back. So if you want to borrow this one from me, you're out of luck because I learned that lesson the hard way. You can buy it at any bookstore or Target for like 6 bucks though.
If you must know, the story is about a boy named Jonas who lives in a society where everything is very well planned out. There are a lot of rules and regulations. There is no poverty, no (real) pain, no unhappiness, no surprises. Each family unit is planned out, and at the age of twelve, everyone is given a job that suits their gifts and abilities. The old are well cared for, and are treated with respect.
When Jonas turns twelve, he is selected to be the Receiver of Memories. It is a very honorable and mysterious position. The current Receiver of Memories (or, The Giver) gives him memories of the past...memories of poverty, pain, unhappiness and surprises - but also memories of joy, love, and other emotions that don't exist in Jonas' world.
With this new information Jonas can no longer live the way he did before, but the road ahead is unknown.
The ending is one that is open to interpretation, which I like. I know what I think happened, but I won't share it here, in case you haven't read it yet.
You should read it though. It's an easy read, targeted at elementary aged people (hence why I first read it at that age), but enjoyable and thought-provoking for any age (why I still read it).
2 comments:
LH~
You made me want to reread my own copy of this...I don't think I have read it since at least High School, although I did read it several times after reading it in 5th or 6th grade...so very long ago...
p.s. You and Steve have been on my mind a lot lately...not sure why, but know I am thinking of and praying for you both. Love ya! Jess
Awww, thanks!
We'll have to hang out this summer, when we are all in MN.
Post a Comment