Friday, October 31, 2008

In Turkey

Here I am ın Turkey, the last full day in Izmir. Tomorrow we will fly to Istanbul, stay the night, and then fly to Riga Sunday morning. We will have a good 5-6 hours to kill before our bus leaves there, and by the time we get home it will be around midight. It has been a good break, much needed. I will not type much, because the Turkish keyboard has some different keys (I cannot find the apostrophe, for example), and it takes me a long time to type simple words.

Let us review the list of things I was looking forward to and see what has been accomplished:

1. Being away. (Yes)
2. Being somewhere that I have never been before. (Yes)
3. Meeting a new family. (Yes, love them)
4. Rereading books. (Been working my way through The Divine Conspiracy, should be done by midnight on Sunday)
5. Sleep. (Yes and yes)
6. Highs in the mid 70's (Fahrenheit). (More like low 70s...but today is 80 degrees, so it evens out)
7. Sleep. (Yes. Sleeping in, taking naps, and going to bed by midnight or earlier)
8. Computer-free. (Almost. Mostly)
9. New Testament Locations. (Ephesus, Baby!)
10.Daylight Saving Time (a week earlier here than in the states) (Slept through it)
11.Rejuvenation (ask me Monday)
12.Thanksgiving (I mean, it is Turkey, right?) (Nope, but today is Halloween)
13.Kodak moments (Dozens)
14.Rest (A lot)
15.Time with God (Yes)
16.Time with Steve (Yes)
17.Travel (Yes)
18.Newness (Yes, combined with the familiar. They have Ikea here, for example).

I have not lost 30 pounds or had to eat a cigarette. But I probably gained about 30 pounds from all the good food and inactivity. I have breathed in some second hand smoke, though.

The 30 pounds will come in handy, winter is approaching. The city decides when to turn the heat on ın Klaipeda. The temperature has to be below a certain number for 3 days in a row in order for them to turn it on (so if it is cold for 2 days, but warmer for the third, no heat). I have secretly hoped that it was cold while we were away so when we get back the heat will be on. We shall see.

Here are the things I can type with the Turkish keyboard with no effort: é€ÜİışŞçÇÖö

1 comment:

ashpad said...

i am impressed at how well you accomplished your list. it's like you printed it out and hung it up on a wall so you could check things off, just to make sure you got them all.