Saturday, October 18, 2008

Longing to Blossom

A while ago I posted this.
As of late, it has been in my heart that I want to dig deep roots. I want to be in a place longer than 2 years. Which is difficult, for a couple reasons:
1. I feel like we've only been called to this specific place for 2 years. So there's at least that much more longer to wait to go somewhere and dig deep roots.
2. For the past 2 months I've been studying Acts, and the main character Paul hardly ever stays anywhere for very long. And look how good his ministry was.

I have been encouraged by some Scripture.

Psalm 139:9-10: If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me.

God is here, even in Lithuania.

Acts 20:24: But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.

I wonder what great work the Lord Jesus will assign me?

Matthew 8:19-20: Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go." But Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head."

And in Luke 9:57-62: As they were walking along, someone said to Jesus, "I will follow you wherever you go." But Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head." He said to another person, "Come, follow me." The man agreed, but he said, "Lord, first let me return home and bury my father." But Jesus told him, "Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God." Another said, "Yes, Lord, I will follow you, but first let me say good-bye to my family." But Jesus told him, "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God."

There has to be something for settling down, though, and digging deep roots. Otherwise why would pastors of churches stick around for so long? Why would so many Christians live in the same house for 80 years? Or am I just trying to find something about it that's biblical so that I too, can someday have a place to rest my head for a time that exceeds 2 years?

Here are some words from Hebrews 13; a word about home, and a wonderful benediction (I love benedictions).

Hebrews 13:14 For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.

and

Hebrews 13:20-21 Now may the God of peace— who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus,the great Shepherd of the sheep, and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood—may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.

And Amen.

No comments: