You know the question that goes something along the lines of, "If you were trapped on an island, and didn't know how long it would be before you'd be rescued (or if you were rescued), what or who would you like to have with you?" There are many variations, but the clever and obvious answer always has something to do with the person or object that helps you to build a boat or call for safety.
Lame.
The point of the question is not to be clever, but to really analyze what or who is important to you. What or who can't you live without?
I've thought about it in this way recently. What if I had no home and no income (and presumably no family or friends that would let me stay with them until I could get back on my feet)? I'm thankful to say that there's a better chance for me to be deserted on an island, but for the sake of question, what if?
If I had no home or income...or if I had no where to stay and my full time job was asking people for spare change, what is the one thing that I would try to save up for (after I'd bought my piece of bread and some water)?
The answer is easy. Lip Balm. I can't live without it. I really can't. I think some people think it's a want and not a need. And maybe that's true for them (how very postmodern of me). But it's not true for me.
A few years back, another person and I were in competition with each other to see who could go the longest without chapstick (not necessarily the brand...but I'm getting sick of calling it lip balm. It's like calling Kleenexes tissues).
After a mere couple days my lips were swollen, scabby, cracked, bloody, and purely awful looking. (I lost after one week).
Some suggested I wasn't getting enough water. But seriously. I drink more water than the average person. I loves it.
Anyway. On to the point (and you thought there wasn't one).
The computer says it's 10:28pm. It's Wednesday. I have just applied some lip balm.
One of my 2008 resolutions that I failed at was to go one day without lip balm. The reason I failed was because I didn't even try. I procrastinated, thinking that the start of the year is way too cold and dry to go without. I would wait for a humid summer day, I said. Never happened. I think I'm up to the challenge though. I mean, it's already been two minutes and so far so good. Only 23 hours and 58 minutes to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment