Sunday, January 18, 2009

What if

What if people who led music in church, particularly the vocalists, were not up front, but spread out and sitting among the congregation, leading not with a microphone, but with their voice?

They could practice just as much, but they would not be up front.

I still haven't figured out how to make instrumentalists less showy without drastically changing the physical layout of the already existing church.

Anyway, then it would seem less like a performance, and more like you're singing with each other for God.

3 comments:

W. MacLeod said...

What a lovely quote! And quite the same feeling that I was going for with my post.

As for those people who lead worship in church, I agree. I am one of those people and I would love to use the voice that God has given me in a place where I'm not "on display" for all the congregation to see. I don't see this changing in the American Church anytime soon though.

Guy Magno said...

Yeah! You tell em, Laura. Take that Christian rock bands.

Laura said...

Change is rough for churches, for better or for worse.